November 24, 2008

Learn: To Yearn

If you have accepted the need to learn, you want the process to be as focused as it can be.

I have committed myself to pursuit of personal growth in my Lord, but how do I manage to cut off pursuit into dead ends, down rat holes or through mazes?

I have to be prayerful in my pursuit, learning to yearn for that which is of the Lord, not of this world.

I believe prayer, focused, diligent, intentional, deliberate and continual prayer can lead to the discernment necessary to quickly determine that which is good and that which is harmful to my growth.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 (NASB)

Clearly, if I make this all about me, I will fail, falling into a morass of my own making. This proverb clearly point me at Jesus, relying on Him to steer me onto the proper path of personal growth.

The challenge is pursuing that which He would want pursued, not what I would want. And the times that I am wasting time chasing after false knowledge has had to have been when I listened to the strident braying of my own pride instead of the gentle Spirit filled whisper urging me closer to Him.

God's symphony drowned out by my one note cacophony. What a waste. How much better to yearn for what He has to offer so that I pursue the world with the intent of mining out His goodness. Although at times that might seem like a needle in a haystack problem to me.

Yearning is worth the effort of going through the hay.

No comments: