November 30, 2008

Learn: To Earn

Feeling pretty good about all you have done? Think you have a lot coming you way because you deserve it. If so, you have mastered the learn to earn mentality.

And that is bad news.

This one is easy. You cannot earn that which you should be seeking, Do not fall into the trap of thinking you can, and waste your time trying. What you do, you should be doing out of love for God, not pride in self.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." Ephesians 2:8-10 (NASB)

You are not saved by works, you are saved unto them. You should be doing good works,learning to learn, yearn and turn. You should be tearing down that which is harmful to your walk with Christ, learning to burn. But you can never earn any of this, so do not bother trying to earn.

Lord willing, I will be back home and posting. And starting to think about Christmas.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone who is in full-time ministry can tell you that mentality is faulty. If I was to earn a master's degree this year it wouldn't impact my salary one iota.

You need to have different motivation. Certainly we have to provide for our families, but our primary concern needs to be doing what God has called us to be and do in our short time on earth.

Laurie M. said...

I have to really fight against taking that debtor's mentality with God. I can never earn His grace. If I could, it wouldn't be grace. And I can never pay Him back for it; and when I try I'm back again in the same trap. When I should be lovingly grateful for His undeserved favor, my pride makes me want to earn His favor, which leads me into legalism which ultimately condemns me as I find myself being judged with the same measure with which I judge. And then I find myself back at the foot of the cross, where it all began, seeking mercy again. I need the gospel every day.