October 23, 2008

Reflections of a Fast Past

I did another media fast yesterday, and used the time gained in not indulging in the various media in my life to do some prayer and reflection. I believe I learned a few things:

  • I am as more comfortable with the idea of reflection than with the actual implementation of it. This bothers me, but as I am reflective I seem to want to engage in doing something else, as if reflection isn't doing enough. I had not focused on that last week. So it is a new thought. But since I am not all that comfortable spending a lot of time in reflection, I wonder if I will ever get around to understanding that better.
  • I am less concerned with what is going on around me than I thought I would be. I sensed this last week, but it hit me stronger this time around. When I am not plugged into things, I really do not miss them as much as I thought I would. It seems it is not the urgency of the media that draws me, but its availability.
  • The volume of information built up during the fast has a direct impact on how much time I will spend processing each individual item. Seeing what came in yesterday gives me the feeling that few items will get the same level of intensity from me than if I had seen them on a more current basis. I apologize to all who wrote these items, but apparently I am a prime candidate for information overload and may be no more than 24 to 72 hours away from it at any given time. How thin the veneer of a virtual life.

I will do this again next Wednesday to fulfill the commitment I made to myself. I think I am less inclined to do this on a regular basis than I was a week ago. But unlike the major television networks, I will not declare a winner until all the polls close and results are reported form all precincts.

No comments: