October 13, 2008

Never Give Up, Never Surrender

For those of you who have seen the movie Galaxy Quest, you will recognize the motto of the hero in the movie (Tim Allen or Jason Nesmith or Peter Quincy Taggart) in the title of this post.

It is a very funny movie, I think you would enjoy it. But it states a very real truth. A couple of passages in the Bible lay out a very similar thought (but without the comic artistry of Mr. Allen):

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NASB)


"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win."


Run, and keep running. I run to win, not for self but for God. For His glory. I do not know how and when the race will end but I will keep on running the best I can. Even on the days I feel exhausted, even on the days I may actually feel like I am sliding backwards. (Which is most days at seminary) And I will in the days I actually feel like I am making progress. I am feeling that way for the first time in a bit. Like I am making some progress, each and every day. It is a good feeling.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender. I wonder if the Galaxy Quest people knew how biblical they were in their advice.


No comments: