January 20, 2009

This Is Not The Post I Set Out To Write

Yesterday, I thought about doing a post on working on and substantially completing the first paper I have to turn in for the Spring semester. I worked on it most of the day. Not going to say which paper for what course, you never know who is going to read this.

But suffice to say by the evening I felt like the elephant had eaten me. I am so out of shape scholastically. (Well, I am out of shape physically as well, but this is about school, and there have been enough references to elephants already in the past week). It was not a particularly long paper nor particularly grueling, but I am out of shape. And I was out of shape before the month break between semesters, during which I avoided anything scholastic like the plague. (If I may paraphrase a book I read many years ago, you could take a carrot, put everything school related on the end of the carrot, stick it in your ear, and you would feel nothing but the tip of the carrot. I know, I know, don't ask what book, I do not remember the book nor the author, just that vignette).

I probably need a physical exercise regimen, I definitely need a seminary fitness program. That's the bad news. The good news is I tend to be an old school, brute force, last man standing type of business executive. (My wife sometimes thinks my motto is, "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer") I do not quit easily and I keep on coming at you like a freight train.

I can be derailed, but not without a lot of screeching, sparks and a crushed automobile or two. So I will keep at it, trying to tamp down my pride and focus on His glory. I know that I can derail myself faster with pride than anything else, so I pray on I will focus on my studies as God's will for me and not my own ego. Because if it is ego, I am out of here.

I am keeping a healthy attitude about grades, just working to learn. Anyway, I think if you ask for your GPA in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, the numbers look better.

So, for those of you in school and especially seminary, waiting for syllabus shock to wear off, take heart, it will. If you are wear you are because you answered the Lord's will, you are going to make it. You may be a bit scorched in the process, maybe a little 1 Corinthians 3:15 in the process.

Go ahead, look it up.




Lookup a word or passage in the Bible








BibleGateway.com



Include this form on your page





But you will come out to face another day, another semester and another round of life.

No comments: