January 16, 2009

How Much Is Too Much?

I have a question for those of you out doing ministry and service in the name of the Lord.

How do you decide when enough is enough? I am assuming that there is a thing as too much, I mean we have family responsibilities, job responsibilities, personal needs. How do you decide when you need to say no to the next volunteer project or service opportunity? How do you deal with the potential disappointment you may generate when you say no when you have been counted on in the past for saying yes?

I find my dance card filling rapidly as i make myself available and explain to people what I feel I have a heart to serve in.

Is it OK to say no to an opportunity you can handle today leaving room for one you may be more suited to tomorrow? Is it OK to say no even if the one you are saving room for is currently undefined or unknown?

I know I should listen closely for God's voice, but do you sometimes find that hard when the curtrent needs are beginning to clamor?

Please do not get the wrong impression, I am not at the end of my rope, not out on a ledge somewhere. Just thinking thin gs through and trying to plan a little ahead.

Is that so bad?

No comments: