January 28, 2009

The Next Generation

I recently read a journal post from two years ago that centered on the following verse:
And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come. Psalm 71:18 (NASB)
As I thought about it, about teaching the next generation, I realize this is something that God has put on my heart, sharing what I know with men and women coming up behind in the following generations.

Why teach? Why is it so important? What happens if we drop the ball on that particular duty? Another verse I think about often comes to mind:

All that generation also were gathered to their fathers; and there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD, nor yet the work which He had done for Israel. Judges 2:10 (NASB)


This is when the problems of disobedience to God and the subsequent cursing started after the nation of Israel came into the promised land.

Why invest in our young? The church is only a generation away from fading out to almost nothing. The Lord will always protect a remnant in even the toughest of times, but don't we all want a flourishing and growing church, not a remnant?

My thanks to all that have picked up the cudgel and are beating away the darkness by teaching. What others sacrificed and served to do for us; we need to do for the next generation about the Lord.


No comments: