January 29, 2009

Knowing, Listening and Following

My wife gave me great advice today, let go of my ideas about my education and ministry and just let God take me there. Smart woman. ( To paraphrase Howard Hendricks, I married so far above my station it is immoral).I have been struggling the past few days, getting ahead of myself, getting behind myself and sometimes just getting in my own way.

Sometimes our greater strengths are our greatest weakness. I am very organized, I have things planned out to the nth degree (at least in my mind-which can be a terrible place to be). Projects, meetings and the like neatly platted onto the calendar of my mind. Oh, so organized and in control. Uh huh.

And then stuff happens and things do not go according to my carefully laid plans (of which I am both mouse and man). At these times I can be like a broken machine, trying to perform the programmed function or activity, but things are not lining up like I planned them too. Picture the movie scene ( I think it was in Back to the Future) where the breakfast is set up to make itself. But there is spilled coffee on the counter, a pile of burnt toast on the floor and a whole mess of broken eggs everywhere. The pity is that I know, deep down in my core, that it does not have to be that way. I know it.

I need to let God move me at His pace, not at mine. I need to listen more for His loving voice in my life. Somehow I got very hard of hearing this week. I need to recharge, reset myself, listen and follow His lead. Why is it so hard some days to do that? It isn't like my plans are actually a viable alternative to His. I know that as well.

May it start today.

No comments: