December 23, 2008

How Low Can You Go?

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,"
Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day
Darkness and light are alike to You.

Psalm 139:7-12 (NASB)


God sees all, the sacrifice of Jesus is sufficient for all. There is no where that the Light of God cannot pierce. Even in the darkest part of a heart stained with sin, He is there if you will only turn to Him. The darkest night can be the brightest day by His presence in your life.

I am reminded of the story of Jonah by these verses:

Jonah went down to Joppa. (1:3)
Jonah went down to the ship. (1:3)
Jonah went down into the ship.(1:5)
Jonah went down into the sea. (1:15)
Jonah went down into the fish. (1:17)
Jonah went down to the roots of the mountains. (2:6)


The Lord still found Jonah, no matter how far down he went to get away from God. And what happened?

Jonah was brought up from the pit by the Lord. (2:6)
Jonah was brought back onto dry land. (2:10)


Jonah saw the darkness in his heart, a darkness he still struggled with after the Lord had redeemed him from the sea. But the Lord could pierce Jonah even at the very roots of the mountains of the sea. Jonah could not get any lower, but he could not get underneath God. God took drastic measures with Jonah, because of Jonah, not because of God.

Then the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah up onto the dry land. Jonah 2:10 (NASB)

So before you try to out limbo the Lord, check your heart, search its darkness and realize that God has not turned from you, you have turned from Him.

And do something about it before He has to turn you into fish puke.

No comments: