December 29, 2008

Changes

I seem to be on a one day lag of getting my thoughts in line on my daily readings. I read yesterday from the same two sources that I did the day before, Chambers and Boa. In different parts of Scripture, but they triggered similars thoughts for me:


and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3 (NASB)



But it greatly displeased Jonah and he became angry.

He prayed to the LORD and said, "Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity.

"Therefore now, O LORD, please take my life from me, for death is better to me than life."

The LORD said, "Do you have good reason to be angry?"

Jonah 4:1-4 (NASB)

Chambers talked about the need for continuous conversion, even after the point at which we have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. Boa talked about doing what is right in God's eyes. Jonah was angry that God saved the people who we the tormentors of Jonah's people. Instead of joy at the glory to God shown by this change of heart, Jonah was filled with self righteous anger. Jonah needed some of the continuous conversion that Chambers talks about.

How many times have I been angry that God's plans do not line up with mine? How many times have you? Probably planty for both of us. If we call ourselves children of God, how can we be angry when the Father is glorified? How can we be mad when the sacrifice of the Son is fulfilled in some way before our eyes?

Yet constantly we need be reminded to have a child-like faith in Jesus. Because we are proud, and self righteous, and oh so much better than others.

Yeah, right.

No comments: