March 20, 2009

True Rest

A few days ago I wrote about True Surrender. Here is another thought group from a page in my journal:

You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him.
Deuteronomy 13:4 (NASB)

Then she said, "Wait, my daughter, until you know how the matter turns out; for the man will not rest until he has settled it today."
Ruth 3:18 (NASB)

What I am hearing running through both these verses is the concept of resting in the Lord. In the first, a clinging to Him, a following along, a desire to be close to the peace and security only God can give us. In the second, a restless drive that does not abate until you do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, and then comes your rest in Him. In either case, I think the rest that comes from being in fellowship with the divine presence underlies both passages.

When I think of the times I am restless in my surroundings it is usually because I have not surrounded myself with the will of the Lord, but have enmeshed myself in my own thoughts, cares and concerns. I am not getting the rest because I have not waved the flag of surrender to Him.

I will look to use this post as a reminder in the future to settle it and get my rest in Him.


No comments: