September 17, 2008

The Just Rewards of Missing the Boat

I found this a very sobering reminder:

Your motivation should not be a desire to be known as a praying person...Have no motivation other than to know your Father in heaven...God is never impressed by our earnestness...Asking means that our will must be involved...But remember that we have to ask things of God that are in keeping with the God whom Jesus Christ revealed.

Oswald Chambers - My Utmost For His Highest

If the basis of true prayer is aligning my will to God's, if the basis is to talk only to Him and not be concerned with how others perceive it; I have missed the boat more times than I care to remember. And I have gotten what I deserved, which is no answer in response.

Thoughts like this always remind me of the following verse:

"Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do,for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full."

Matthew 6:16


If I am shallow and self serving in prayer, I am getting my just reward: I am standing in the water up to my neck because I have missed the boat and I have fallen off the dock.

No comments: