February 7, 2009

What If God Was More Like Me

"When you grow up and have children, I hope they are just like you".

MomC Circa-1970's

Uh oh. Now that is a Def Con 5 threat if I ever heard one. That would be bad, really bad. I know what I was like (still am to a large extent). Kids like me? What nasty, evil,sinful little creatures they would be. Trust me on this one.

That got me to thinking, I do not want a child to be as I was, how about my God, my Lord and Savior? That would be even worse than the kiddie scenario.

God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

Numbers 23:19 (NASB)

Also the Glory of Israel will not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man that He should change His mind.

1 Samuel 15:29 (NASB)

There is my assurance that God is not going to be like me. Or you. Or anyone else we know. I read these two verses in a nighttime devotional a few days ago and they stuck with me.

Can you imagine the mess if God, wholly and totally sovereign, gave in to our faults and foibles, our sin nature and human frailties? Jesus, fully man and fully God, was able to be sinless on our behalf and pulled us out of our muck and mire. Imagine if He hadn't?

Can you imagine what you would do with unlimited power and no accountability?

How blessed are we that He is not like us; how blessed are we that He loves us even though we are not like and can never be wholly like Him. MomC knew what she was talking about. God knows what He is doing.



No comments: