February 18, 2009

A Little More Light

I blogged yesterday on a passage out of Rainsford.Then I read this excerpt from Calvin:

In the same vein is that saying of Solomon, "The poor man and the usurer meet together; God illumines the eyes of both" [Prov. 29:13; cf. ch. 22:2]. He points out that, even though the rich are mingled with the poor in the world, while to each his condition is divinely assigned, God, who lights all men, is not at all blind.
Institutes of the Christian Religion 1:16.6

God is not blinded by the light which He illuminates us in our sin and shortcomings. We may be blind in our darkness, by the light that God shines upon us lays that out in the open for us to see.

No matter how dark we believe, the Lord sees with total clarity. Nothing is hidden from him:

11If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night,"
12Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.

Psalm 139:11-12 (NASB)

That we let Him lead us, that we see through His sight. There is light all around us, even in our darkest thoughts or despair. I seem to keep stumbling into it and over it. I need to keep embracing it as it encourages and emboldens me.

No comments: