May 28, 2009

My True Home

Last night my wife and I went to the Yankees-Rangers game here in Texas and caught up with some friends we have not seen in a while. (Yankees won 9-2, but that is not really all that important to this post. OK, I am glad they won but we need to move on). Although I have been in Texas for six years and have been to see the Yanks almost every year, it is still strange to see them play ball in person in a visitors uniform. (Was even stranger still to see the Mets a few years ago in a visitors uniform as I grew up with the Mets in Queens in the 60's and 70's). The only other time I witnessed this phenomenon was when the played each other in the World Series or the old Mayor's Trophy games.

But the DFW area is my home now, and to see the teams of my youth playing as visitors, well, I will never get entirely used to it.

Which made me think, home is some respects is a state of mind as much as geographic location. I am home here in Texas because my mind has accepted it as home. Yet the permanence of my earthly home is shown to be temporary when something like as simple as a ballclub that used to be the home club comes to my city and now plays as a visitor.

Which leads me to affirm where my permanence, where my true security is. Only in my Lord Jesus Christ. And I will only truly be home when He takes me back to Him, for then it will never change ever again and I will never be shaken in that firm acceptance in my mind.