April 28, 2009

Babies/Maybes/Rabies

I have been thinking of three different groups of people lately and how to interact with them:

  • Baby Christians - People who are new in their faith and trust in Jesus. Am I coming alongside to help encourage and teach, to help answer their questions and help embolden them in their faith? It was not that long ago that I was one and I think of the people who took the time to pour into me. I would not be where I am in my walk if not for them. You and I should be doing the same for those who have started their walk and are behind us in the path; just as those ahead of us should be calling back to us from time to time.
  • Maybe Christians - We all know some, and maybe we exhibit these tendencies ourselves in our moments of weakness. We say we trust in Jesus, but are often tepid in our behavior, less than bold in our witness. Maybe we want to be PC, maybe we want to avoid ridicule or worse. But somehow our actions do not align with our words the way they should. I need to encourage these people as well, as I need encouragement when I feel my will to the lord wavering a bit. No condemnation, but love and exhortation. We may all be in this space once in a while.
  • Rabid Christians - You have seen these people. So on fire for the Lord that even other Christians are afraid to get too close for fear of getting scorched. People you want to say to "Dude, I love your zeal, but you are scaring the pets and the children off". People who are bold to the point of being on the fringe, people you want to lasso and bring back into the fold so they can channel their energy into less frightening patterns of behavior. But remember their zeal is from the Lord, and maybe the problem isn't them, but you.
The thing is, I believe we are all in each of these categories at some point of time. All need encouragement, all need caring and community.

28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28 (NASB)

All can work towards God's glory.

No comments: