April 2, 2009

Are We Heartless Christians?


A heartless Christian must be a terrible grief to our Lord.
Oswald Chambers - My Utmost For His Highest - April 1 Devotional

One line that stuck with me all day yesterday into the evening and on to the next day. One line that will stick in my mind for quite some time.

Chambers talks about the fact that if we do not worship God, we will act heartlessly to people we otherwise have no interest in, outside of God's calling us.

35'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;

36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?

38'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?

39'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

40"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'

Matthew 25:35-40 (NASB)

Scripture makes very clear the point Chambers was making.

In these times of uncertainty, are you comforting or are you heartless?

I try, but I am not sure I am doing enough to show concern for those who but for the grace of God, I would not have an interest in. Where are you?

If He cares for them how dare we not?