August 19, 2010

Be Ready

Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming. But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into. For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.
Matthew 24:42-44(New American Standard Bible)
Today would have been my Dad's 89th birthday, he passed away at the beginning of the year. So as I started to think about him today, I guess my thoughts came around to my own stay here on earth. We are all here for what turns out to be such a brief time, the years fly by, and especially so if you take an eternal perspective on things.
I think about being prepared for the day I will face my Lord; maybe when He comes back, maybe when He calls me home. The point is, I do not know the day so I need to live my life as if it will be tomorrow.

Be ready for you know not the day.

I make decisions each day and must live with them, with the consequences of my actions or inaction. I need to do it in a way so as to be ready for Him, for how He chooses to have me face Him in that day.

Be ready for you know not.

I know what He holds important, for I have read the book He wrote for us. I am sure I do not always live as He would have me. I am grateful that He is a God of grace and mercy; I am going to need it. Yet even with that, I know I need to try harder each day to strive for obedience to His will. It is a struggle each day; not because what he asks is unreasonable, but because I am a sinner in a fallen world.

Be ready.