February 22, 2010

Giving My All

We should quit asking ourselves, "Am I of any use?" and accept the truth that we really are not of much use to Him.
Oswald Chambers - My Utmost For His Highest: February 21 Devotional

You read this and it hits you. Surrender requires a true self evaluation in the face of God. He does not need us and yet He wishes to. Stop trying to figure out how you can help God and just give yourself over to Him. I have been thinking a bit about this since I read this yesterday. You really got to be broken to think of yourself as no use to God, except that He chooses to use you by grace. That is a hard lesson to learn, I feel it hammering at me even as I type this. Only God can make use of the useless. I am thankful for that.
You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Deuteronomy 6:5 (NASB)
That is a pretty simple instruction. If you follow this passage of Scripture, you should come to the place where you turn yourself over to God. Chase after Him to surrender to Him. Not run away to be able to live as you desire. This is a verse I reflected on in my journal over the past two years about a day apart in timing, but similar thoughts keep popping up when I reflect on this verse. I really need to run to Him and throw myself down in surrender.

Completely and daily.

More often as necessary.