August 31, 2008

Reflections on Oswald Chambers - My Utmost For His Highest

I just started reading this wonderful book by Oswald Chambers the other day and I am already struck by the incredible richness inside it's pages. I am reading the updated English version (I am usually a purist on these sort of matters, but I want to make sure I mine out a ton of good insight contained herein).

Some thoughts I find myself reflecting on:

  • August 30 - The trap you may fall into in Christian work is to rejoice in successful service - rejoicing in the fact that God has used you. Yet you will never be able to measure fully what God will do through you if you do not have a right-standing relationship with Jesus Christ.
OK, he nails me the very first day I read anything by him. This guy is good.

  • August 31 - Joy should not be confused with happiness...The joy of Jesus was His absolute self-surrender and self-sacrifice to His Father-the joy of doing that which the Father sent Him to do.
Ok, now he is correcting me. He is two for two. I am doomed. This is going to be a good ride.

No comments: