August 30, 2008

A Quote I Enjoyed - #2

"Credo ut intelligam" – I believe in order that I may understand.

Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109)

I found this in "Who Needs Theology" by Stanley J Grenz and Roger E Olson. It was quoted in the context of faith being a Christian acknowledging that God has claimed his or her life; theology being the pursuit of knowledge to understand with the mind what the heart already believes.

Faith before knowledge, I like that order. Seeking knowledge of God before having faith in Christ does seem like the wrong order, because it becomes about you, your preconceived notions and prejudices. Better to have Christ find you, and then have Him lead you on the journey of intellectual discovery that will enhance your ability to explain and defend your faith.

I can see where having faith before knowledge is a better road than pride before a fall.


No comments: