August 18, 2008

If a Blog is posted and is not read by anyone, is it still a Blog?

I admire those who blog on a daily basis; quite frankly, doing it every three days is enough of a challenge for me. Since I began blogging a few months ago, I have struggled with the basic question "Is anyone really interested in what I have to say?" Actually, I asked that question even before I posted my first blog. My struggle: combating the fear of being irrelevant, of wasting other people's time, besides wasting my own.

I can make arguments that a blog should be informative; telling others something about me or my perspective on some slice of the world that I feel may be important to share. I might reach one person with one idea and start them off in a slightly altered direction for their own journey; a blog of benefit to someone on occasion.

I can make the argument that a blog can be therapeutic; letting me give vent to some expressive thought, that, if bottled up with other unvented expressive thoughts, would cause me to burst open one day like an overripe melon. I would scatter a few seeds; in spite of the sound of it, a blog that might occasionally benefit me.

I can make an argument that a blog can be narcissistic; allowing me to revel in, well, to revel in me. Oh boy, can I see that one happening; a blog of use to no one.

I would ask those who blog who bother to take the time to read my blog:

  • Do you think anyone is really interested in what you have to say?
  • Do you really care either way?
  • If no one was reading it, would you blog anyway?

I guess I will continue to seek the good things, and seek to avoid the bad things about blogging.

11 comments:

Mark said...

My favorite definition of a blogger:

"Someone with nothing to say writing for people with nothing to do."

Also, google "Warnock's Dilemma" named for my cousin Bryan.

Ancoti said...

Mark:

I LOVE IT! Thanks for the reference to Warnock's dilemma. I pray for reason #1, but always expect it is some horrendous combination of #'s 2-5 that I am experiencing.

I will need to keep this in mind.

David Porter said...

Andy,

Blogging is no different than a business. In fact, it can be a business if one desires.

Here is why I write in my Boomer in the Pew Blog in order of importance to me:

1.) To keep a record of my studies. 10 years from now, I suspect that I could have the whole Bible and many books under my belt complete with detailed notes in my blog. It will make a great reference tool for evangelism too.

2.) A legacy for my family. I want to leave my heart and my love of Christ to my family for generations. A blog is an incredible way to do that. Imagine your great-great-great grandson being able to read decades of your faith journal!

3.) Finding spiritual teachers. From my blogging, I have come across some incredibly gifted men. John Piper, for example comes to mind. I didn't really know John Piper before I started blogging.

4.) Finding new friends. I found you from blogging. You and I are in similar ships. I am happy to have "met" you and look forward to watching your journey through seminary.

5.) Using my brain. Blogging forces me to use my brain and put my studies to the written word. Therefore, the studies are greatly cemented in my mind.

6.) Joint reading projects. I am currently reading Jonathan Edwards with around 100 other Christians from all over the world. That is cool, and very educational.

That seems like a good list for now.

I have/had other blogs with differing desires.

My Mortgage Broker Coaching Blog..which I took down...had 1,400 subscribers.

My Pacesetter Mortgage Blog, when it was up and running was the nations second most recognized blog from a mortgage professional. I was quoted in Business Week numerous times, U.S. News and World Report called to interview, and a reporter from NPR was in my office one day interviewing me on the mortgage industry.

So...it all depends on your audience, your mission, and your willingness to dedicate yourself to the task.

Did that help?

Ancoti said...

Thank you for a well reasoned and encouraging response. I appreciate the support and I value the friendship we have, which only came about because of blogging. That alone makes it worthwhile.

I was interested in learning what others who read me and blog feel about blogging themselves; I am enjoying the good input.

ryan said...

Andy,
I have some motivations in common with David.
As you may know, I started out trying to communicate with some of my team members. That, apparently didn't work so well.
Now I do it to practice my writing and possibly to build some community.
If no one read, I would still do it.
One of the main reasons that I post so incessantly is that it helps me out with search engines and stuff. That's not my motivation, but this is my thought. Maybe you'll read on Friday and Dan will read on Tuesday and random person will read on Friday. I want to have fresh material for everyone.
Just some of my thoughts.
Keep writing, though. Just because there is no response doesn't mean people aren't reading.

Ancoti said...

Ryan,

Thanks. I think all of us have the same basic philosophy towards blogging. I am encouraged my thought processes are similar to yours.

I am finding this helps me in sorting out my own thoughts, and I pray it is helping others as well.

Rhett Smith said...

yeah it's still a blog; i have always found that it's a great way to hone one's creative mind, writing skills, etc, etc. And it's very therapeutic.

rhett

Ancoti said...

Rhett:

Glad you see the therapeutic value as well.

David Porter said...

Andy,

I just gave this article a "thumbs up" at StumbleUpon.

Let's, as an experiment, see what kind of traffic, if any, you get as a result.

Be watching your SiteMeter account.

:)

John said...

this is inspired me to write an entry (in the near future) about why I blog... beyond some of the obvious I suppose.

One thing that stands out to me though is that I blog because it makes me better at focusing my thoughts and communicating them... it also makes me, as a result, a better writer.

I'm not sure why I want to be a better writer... but... i do...?

keep blogging brother!

Ancoti said...

John, your stuff is stretching me in new ways; taking the kinks out of this creaky old mind.