January 26, 2010

My Education Experiment

Being back at work after a two year break, I am trying something different this semester at seminary. An on line course, which allows me the maximum flexibility as to when I do all the work.

I just started it, having completed one unit of nine for the course. I am not sure I like it. I do like i can set my own pace, but it is just not the same as being in the class room to hear a lecture. They try for interaction, but it is a little forced and artificial because we are all doing this at dirffering times and paces. Interaction that is basically text or email driven is harder to get deeper with. Attending a chapel service on line is not the same as being there in person, you cannot draw off the strength of the faith of others sitting in front of your laptop by yourself.

It is what I needed to do this semester, but it is a poor second to being on campus. It fills a need but creates a void. It may be a generational thing, I am a boomer, we tend to lag the upcoming generations in embracing on line experiences with the same receptivity. It may be we are missing out, but somehow, it is not as rich an experience for me.

Hey, I use Twitter, Facebook and Linked In, more than I lot of my generation does. But it is not the same.

I feel a little sorry for the generation that passes the tipping point and this becomes the primary means of communication. Maybe in the past the same was said about the telephone and television.

I do not know. I am probably a dinosaur.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,