January 23, 2010

The Lord's Will

In looking at my journal of an entry I posted on this day in 2007, I was struck by a thought I penned that day:

"...The Lord's will is not my concern, but fulfilling it is".

It was from reflecting on the choosing of Rebekah as Isaac's wife in Genesis 24. Specifically, it was triggered by Laban's and Bethuel's response to the servant of Abraham as he explained how God guided him to Rebekah at the well:

Then Laban and Bethuel replied, "The matter comes from the LORD; so we cannot speak to you bad or good".
Genesis 24:50 (NASB)


What I see now is that three years ago I affirmed to myself that I am to follow God, seek His will and let Him work out His purposes. How much time did I spend fighting His will and seeking to use my own ability to wrest the path of my life onto my own self constructed stage in the interim?. Oh, lots and lots. He who ignores his own warnings from his past are doomed to repeat them. And so I teach myself.

In Christ I have a peace, a assurance of eternal salvation that I cannot lose, no matter what transpires in the intervening time of my life until the day I stand before Him.

I am not concerned about the Lord's will, that is His to determine in His sovereignty.

But I am concerned in seeking it out and rushing to meet Him there.




Technorati Tags: , , , , ,