July 13, 2010

Social Media Implosion

I blew up my Twitter account today and started over. I kept the same user name, Ancoti, but deactivated and reactivated the account, the second time I have done this. Don't ask me why, I felt I needed a fresh start.

I had to change my user name and email before I deactivated to preserve the ability to use them again, which I did. I reactivated so fast I actually think I hacked my own account and had to reset things to preserve the sanctity of my account. I started getting you have been compromised messages from twitter. Yeah, self-compromised.

So, in a twinkling of an eye, 16,368 followers were wiped off my account. I had been aggressively working my totals up to see where it would go and now they are all (or almost all, I have one follower now) gone. This is what happens when you let let an aging boomer dabble in social media. he gets bored every once in a while and wants to restart things to see which direction he will go in now.

So, it is low, low profile for a while, see who finds me, through this blog or an announcement on my facebook profile. A more rational approach to twitterlife for a bit. You really cannot follow 16,368 people effectively, but you can get that many on your account if you want. Not sure how high I could have gone, but what's the point?

So I am back after a 30 second hiatus. Roughly. Maybe a minute and a half is more like it.

Did you miss me, twitterverse?