May 16, 2010

Shifting Values

My wife spent a few days out of town recently visiting family. On the day she was returning, she asked if we had any messages. She seemed surprised when I said it hadn't occurred to me to check for them. I mean, everyone who wants to reach me calls me on my cellphone, don't they? And I have it with me almost all the time, don't I? The thought of checking messages on our land line phone just did not occur to me. Seemed so 90's. Life flows through my Droid ERIS these days.

It made me think about how values and priorities change. Due to technology, due to age, due to changing societal opinions and values. Due to faith. I had a big change about 7 years ago in my faith as I accepted Jesus as my Savior. I was a somewhat religious person before, but now I had a faith that changed my life. I check for messages in the Bible now, not in the popular culture. I read different books, watch different shows and movies. Listen to different music (well some times I listen to some of the old stuff, I am a rocker of the boomer persuasion after all). I answer messages on a different type of phone.

Things have certainly changed in my life, the most change coming in the past 7 years. But I pray one thing never changes going forward: my faith in Jesus as my Savior. And here is a verse I let echo around in my head form time to time to give me the assurance that my faith need not change because of the certainty of who He is:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8 (NASB)