March 22, 2010

Not About Me

The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them.
1 Samuel 8:7 (NASB)
I find this sound advice in all areas of life if you are following hard after the Lord. I find it comforting to know that it is not about me. If I am rejected or made fun of by others, it is nothing personal. At least, it is nothing personal regarding me. it is the Lord who is suffering that rejection, it is not mine to bear.

How freeing it is to accept the fact that it is God who bears the insults and the barbs, the Lord truly is my shield, my rock as well as my Redeemer. How easy it should be to move ahead proclaiming His Gospel knowing that I matter not, He bears it all, just as He gave His all to save us from ourselves, from our sin. If I am not doing what he calls me to, it is not that I have to bear the burden, but in my own struggle with sin and I am not reaching out to have Him bear it all for me.

The voice of the people may shout defiance at God, but I should only hear the soft whisper of the Lord.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,