March 13, 2010

Can't Be Too Sure

I was in my local Starbucks yesterday morning to pick up my vente bold cup of caffeine, and there were two guys in front of me waiting for their order. The guy behind the counter looks like he is new to the job, seems like a nice enough guy but he has not developed his Starbucks speed yet. These guys were waiting a baristal (that is, pertaining to baristas) eternity for their stuff. The guy finally brings over two identical vente coffees. Here is how the conversation went:

"Which one is the decaffeinated?"

"I think this one is."

"You think?"

"I'm pretty sure, I'm almost certain."

"Well, caffeine gives me chest pains. I will take your word for it, but if I get chest pains today, you and I are going to have a talk on Monday."

Silence, no response. So he takes the coffee and walks away. (Chest pains, caffeine, not sure, what?)

The other server hands me my coffee, but the guy's friend comes back and says, I want to new coffees, clearly marked which one is the decaffeinated. And he is none too happy in his ask. But she takes the cups and tosses them, going to get another order, trying to explain to the new guy that he probably should have done this in the first place. (She had heard the conversation that went on before. She probably should have done it in the first place too)

I go to put my half and half (just a splash, thank you) standing next to the guy prone to chest pains. He is laughing about the whole thing (laughing, really) saying his friend really does not want to start off his day with decaf. (Oh, your buddy clutching his chest in agony is not your major concern)

I said yeah, that's no good. You go into cardiac shock and he is too sleepy to drive you to the hospital. (He liked that one. he had a great sense of humor)

And out the door and on my way I go. For me, when it comes to chest pains,, you cannot be too sure about your coffee. But at least it is about caffeine and not about Equal.

Just another start to another morning.