February 17, 2011

Dead Weight


Now I don't know, but I been told it's hard to run with the weight of gold,
Other hand I have heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of lead.
Grateful Dead - "New Speedway Boogie"
Weight is weight, especially as you deal with material things in terms of the spiritual realm. Whatever stuff I am carrying around in this world, chances are I am hauling a lot of dead weight as I approach the next. 

It turns out that most of what we value in this life is ultimately of no value. You cannot take it with you, all you can do is leave it to others who can't take it along either. It is ultimately useless.(Unless you leave to people to use in a way that brings the people, not the stuff, into the next life. But that as they say, is another story for another day). And if it is useless, it all weighs the same, it is all way too much.

Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Luke 12:32-34 (NASB)

As usual, God's word sums things up very well. Our treasure is where our heart is. If it is hauling dead weight, our heart will tend to be dead to the things that really matter. 

I have spent too much time in the past hauling trash around in my life. Sad to say, I still do a good deal of it. Hopefully not as much, not as much.

That is where the grace of God comes in. He hauled the Cross so I would not have to worry able hauling dead weight. For without Him, that's all everything else is.