September 23, 2009

A Day in the Life

Looking at a page in my journal, the one that has room for thoughts on the same day over 5 years, here are the Bible passages that I recorded over a period of four years:
  • For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. - Romans 8:5
  • For whoever does the will of God, he is My brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
  • O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided to build You a house for Your holy name, it is from Your hand, and all is Yours. - 1 Chronicles 29:16
  • For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil. - Ecclesiastes 12:14
What struck me about these as I looked back at what I wrote was that I could see a thread running through the thoughts I wrote down each year as a thought about the bible verse for the day, that same day.

To me, somehow it was a about having the mind of a steward but the heart of a servant. Tending to the Lord's work and will as if it were the job appointed to, but doing it with a heart desiring to serve Him who is my master. Doing something as if it is my occupation, but doing it as if it is also my vocation.

I will try to go through the days ahead with the mind of a steward, the heart of a servant and eyes firmly fixed on the coming kingdom of God.