January 10, 2011

Is He Ashamed of You?

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. 
Hebrews 11:16 (English Standard Version)
Is God ashamed of you? Is He ashamed of me? I find that a very disturbing thought, probably because I have often given Him a good reason to be ashamed of me. Reading this verse as part of my morning prayer and reflection brought some tears to my eyes, as I thought about all He has done for me, and how I often give Him a reason to be ashamed.

And it brought even more tears when I thought that it is love and patience that He shows to me; not anger, not dismay, not frustration at how I behave.

Today I will think a lot about the city He has prepared for me, I will think about how I live and how I need to try to make Him have so much less opportunity to feel ashamed.